Are you looking for a new and exciting career working with cannabis? Want to know how to get into the cannabis industry?
The cannabis industry is booming, and there are plenty of opportunities for those who want to get in on the action. From cannabis farming to weed marketing, there’s a job in the cannabis industry for everyone.
Perhaps you have an entrepreneurial spirit and want to start your own cannabusiness. With the right knowledge and skills, anything is possible. That's why we created this article to help you learn how to make a weed brand, how to get into marijuana industry, and discover if growing marijuana is profitable.
If you're ready to join the cannabis industry, keep reading!
You might be surprised to learn that there are several different ways to get into the cannabis industry. Whether you're looking to start your own weed business or to get hired into a cannabis dream job, the following tips will help you get started.
First, you’ll want to educate yourself about the cannabis sector:
You can read articles like this one, listen to podcasts, take cannabis training courses, take budtender courses, take compliance courses, and attend conferences and networking events. Each of these learning avenues will not only give you a better understanding of cannabis as a business, but will help you make valuable connections.
Secondly, as with all industries, sometimes it’s not about what you know but who you know. When educating yourself about the cannabis industry it’s important to make authentic connections that can propel you forward into meaningful opportunities. The cannabis industry is growing fast. In 2021 it created 107,059 new jobs and is on pace to create even more new jobs in 2022.
To help you jump to the front of the interview line we interviewed Adelia Carrillo, Co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of EventHi, an online cannabis event platform, for her thoughts on how job seekers can leverage events to get hired into the cannabis industry.
Carrillo says, “The cannabis industry really builds off of relationship building and trust. At EventHI, we believe events are the best way to build relationships, educate about the plant and learn about new companies in the industry.
Relationship building allows for businesses and professionals to get to know you and be more open to introducing you or recommending you for a position or opportunity with another company.”
Carillo's tips for better networking include:
Thirdly, when seeking to get into the cannabis industry, don't be afraid to start small. You don't need to have a lot of money or experience to get started in the cannabis industry. There are plenty of entry-level positions that can allow you to learn, gain experience, and get promoted into your cannabis dream job.
Entry-level marijuana job opportunities include:
Lastly, don't forget to market yourself. Make sure your resume and online presence reflect your interest in working in the cannabis industry. Use social media, attend job fairs, and reach out to contacts in the industry.
A key tip about marketing yourself online...Cannabis is a career just like any other industry. It is also a high compliance industry. Being a cannabis consumer gives you the advantage to understand customers, their needs, and wants. Yet having an online media presence with photos of partying and overconsuming cannabis can hurt your chances of being hired in the cannabis sector as hiring managers may see you as a liability in this high compliance industry. When seeking cannabis employment, be thoughtful about what your social media communicates to hiring managers and make sure it puts your best foot forward.
By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to getting into the marijuana industry.
Creating a weed brand is not as daunting as it may seem. In fact, with a little planning and effort, you can create a successful cannabis brand that stands out from the competition. If you're wondering how to make your own weed brand here are some tips to help you get started...
1. Choose a name for your brand that is unique and memorable. Come up with a name that reflects your company's values and mission statement. Make sure the name is easy to spell and pronounce. To make it easy for customers to find you online, ensure that the brand name you pick has a .com Website domain available.
2. Apply for the correct licenses and get them approved. The process to apply for a cannabis license is different in each state and based on your business model. If your brand is going to be known for proprietary strains, then your business will need a cultivation license. Depending on the state, and products to be offered, you may need cannabis manufacturing licenses, and/or distribution licenses. If your brand is going to be known for its cool market positioning, you may only need a distribution license or in some cases no license at all as you can white-label products from cannabis companies that hold the licenses.
3. Create a logo that is both professional and eye-catching. The logo should be easy to reproduce in different formats such as online, print, and signage. It's important to make sure the logo represents your company in a positive light and complies with state cannabis marketing laws.
4. Register your brand name and logo with the USPTO. This will help to protect your brand from being used by others without your permission.
5. Develop a strong social media presence for your brand in the areas you will be selling products. This is one of the best ways to reach out to potential customers and build loyalty among your existing customer base.
6. Have a plan for packaging and labeling your products. Make sure the packaging is compliant with ever changing state and federal regulations. Your packaging should also be attractive and easy to open (while complying with packaging laws).
7. Invest in professional photography and videography for your website and social media channels. High-quality visuals will help you stand out from the competition and give potential customers a positive first impression of your brand.
8. Develop your marketing strategy to get your products into dispensaries, hire, and train the right people. As you develop and implement your marketing strategy be sure to measure the cannabis business metrics that will help you achieve success. Key cannabis brand success metrics include:
As you develop your weed brand marketing strategy, detail each step of your cannabis brand ambassador/brand campaign launch. These details will increase top-of-mind recall which will lead to customer conversions.
9. Stay up-to-date on industry news, trends, and laws. This will help you adapt your marketing strategy and product offerings to meet the changing needs of your customers and the industry.
By following these tips, you can create a successful weed brand that meets the needs of your customers and sets you apart from the competition.
Starting a cannabis business isn't just about having fun and smoking weed, it's about creating a business that will thrive over time. If you are thinking about getting into the cultivation side of the cannabis industry and are wondering "How profitable is growing marijuana" this section is for you!
The profitability of growing marijuana depends on the following variables:
By taking into account all of these variables, you can get a better understanding of how profitable growing marijuana can be.
Now that you know how to get into cannabis industry it's time to put your knowledge into action! Use these tips to start your cannabis career or weed brand.
Do you have a question about how to get into cannabis industry that we didn't cover? Leave your question in the comments and we'll be happy to answer it.
Have you started your cannabis wellness journey? Jointly is a new cannabis wellness app that helps you discover purposeful cannabis consumption so you can achieve your wellness goals with cannabis and CBD. On the Jointly app, you can find new cannabis products, rate products based on how well they helped you achieve your goals, and track and optimize 15 factors that can impact your cannabis experience. These 15 factors include your dose, the environment in which you consume cannabis, who you are with when you ingest, how hydrated you are, the quality of your diet, how much sleep you got last night, and more. Download the Jointly app on the App Store or the Google Play Store to get started on your cannabis wellness journey.