How to make rosin with a rosin press
If you don't know how to make rosin, get ready to learn how to make this potent cannabis concentrate at home. Rosin is a popular choice for those who need something more potent than cannabis flower. A single dab hit is usually enough for a powerful psychoactive experience. In this article, we will teach you how to make rosin and discuss the differences between live rosin and live resin.
Live Rosin versus Live Resin
While live resin and live rosin sound similar, they are different products. Let’s find out the difference between live rosin and live resin.
What is Resin?
Resin can mean one of two very different things. First, it refers to the sticky substance on cannabis plants (also called the trichomes). This resin is what you collect in a grinder as kief. Resin is the term for the black sludge residue you see in pipes and bongs after long-term use. The substance has an unpleasant smell. It smears anything it touches.
What is Live Resin?
Live resin is a cannabis extract that is quickly becoming one of the most sought-after concentrates. Live Resin is produced by freezing freshly harvested cannabis flower. The cannabis is then passed through solvents to extract the plant's trichomes. The concentrate is tasty, flavorful, and rich in cannabinoids.
What is Live Rosin?
Firstly, what is rosin? Rosin is a cannabis concentrate produced through a specific extraction process that doesn't require solvents. The process involves using pressure and heat to press sticky liquid from cannabis flower. The end product is pure, potent, and clean tasting. Rosin also contains high amounts of terpenes and cannabinoids. That's why it's so popular with dabbers and vapers. So while live resin uses a solvent to extract the cannabinoids, rosin is solventless and is extracted through heat and pressure without any solvents. Both live rosin and live resin are made from fresh cannabis flower. "Live" simply means that the cannabis used to produce an extract was not air-cured. It was frozen immediately after harvesting to preserve the flavor and freshness of the cannabis. Live rosin is a solventless hash oil created from fresh, frozen flower. To make live rosin, you take fresh, frozen cannabis flower and make full melt bubble hash. Here’s how to make rosin.
How to Make Rosin
Rosin is extremely easy to make. With the right tools and input material, you can make quality rosin within 15 minutes. To make rosin, collect the following ingredients:
- Cannabis flower
- Trim (the waste gotten after marijuana bud trimming)
- Hash (the concentrate made by pressing the resin of a cannabis plant.)
Materials needed to make rosin at home
- Rosin press or hair straightener
- At least 1g of cannabis (pressing more than 1g at once can be wasteful)
- Parchment paper
- Dabber or other wax collection tools
- Container to store the finished rosin
- Heat-resistant gloves
- Rosin extraction bag (optional)
How to make rosin with a hair straightener
- Grind up 1g of cannabis. This step is optional. However, make sure you flatten your buds with your hands to make pressing easier.
- Place your cannabis into your resin bag. We recommend a mesh bag or nylon food-grade screens. This is optional for flowers but important for dry sift or hash.
- Fold your parchment paper in half. You can also use parchment paper to make an envelope. The envelope will help keep the weed in place as you prepare to press.
- Put your weed in the folded parchment paper or envelope you created.
- Put on your hair straightener and place it on an insulated surface.
- Set the hair straightener to 220°F.
- Wear your heat-resistant gloves while the hair straightener heats up.
- Place the hair straightener around the parchment paper containing your weed. Make sure it is between the lower and upper parts of the heating elements. You can also place it on the lower part of the hair straightener's heating element.
- Press the hair straightener down and hold firm for 3 to 7 seconds.
- When you hear a sizzling sound, release the pressure and remove the parchment paper from the hair straightener.
- Open the parchment paper carefully. You'll see a sticky substance around your cannabis. That's rosin!
- Use a dabbing tool to remove the flattened cannabis. As you do so, make sure the pieces don't touch the rosin.
- Leave the rosin on the parchment paper and let it cool.
- Once cool, use a scraping tool to scrape your new rosin into an air-tight jar and dab whenever you want.
You now know how to make rosin. You can place rosin on top of flower to enhance your vaping experience. Or you can dab your homemade rosin if you have an e-rig, dab rig, or a vaporizer.
How to make rosin with rosin press
While the hair straightener is an affordable and faster option, the resulting product isn't as high quality as what you will get in a dispensary. Also, you'll get less rosin per gram of cannabis than you would if you used a rosin press. Making rosin is really fun with a press. Plus, it has a pump that lets you increase the amount of pressure and extract far more rosin than you normally could with a hair straightener.
What you need to make rosin at home:
- Flower 1 to 1.5g per press
- Pollen press
- Rosin press
- Parchment paper
- Rosin collecting tool
Steps to Make Rosin with Rosin Press
- Fold your parchment paper into an envelope.
- Preheat rosin press to a deal temperature (220F preferably)
- Use a pollen press to compress the cannabis flower.
- Put the compressed flower into the envelope and pre-press for 10 secs to warm.
- Lock your rosin press and press flower for 90 seconds
- Allow the rosin to cool
- Collect the rosin by rolling your dabbing tool over the rosin
Will I get a lot of rosin dabs?
There isn't a definite answer. However, these few factors will help you know what to expect.
- Strain. Some strains make many trichomes and produce more potent rosin, while others produce nothing.
- Pressure. The higher the pressure your rosin press or hair straightener produces, the more rosin you'll get.
- Heat. Temperatures of about 220°F will create a quality rosin product but less yield. Higher temps will make more rosin of lower quality.
On average, you should expect a 5 to 10% return from a hair straightener and an 8-20% return from a rosin press.
How to Make Live Rosin
To produce live rosin, you'll need:
- Parchment paper
- Rosin press or hair straightener
- Extraction bag or work bag
- Plastic buckets
- Ice (about 14 pounds)
- micron bags
- Hand washer for mixing the hash water
- A sink and a sprayer
How to make live rosin
Let's learn how to make live rosin: one of the most potent and delicious cannabis concentrates.
Freezing the fresh cannabis
- Cut down cannabis, remove the fan leaves, and freeze the flowers.
- Put your fresh frozen cannabis into the extraction bag.
Producing bubble hash
- In a container, layer five or more micron bags on top of one another. The container can be a big unused plastic trash can.
- The first bag - 25 micron
- The second bag -70 micron
- Third bag - 120 micron
- The fourth bag - 150 micron
- The fifth bag (exterior bag) - 220 micron
- Put one-third of your ice into the washer and place the bagged cannabis into your washer for approximately 5 minutes. Add another portion of ice on top of the bagged cannabis.
- Fill your machine with the remaining ice. But don't fill it to the brim.
- Set the machine to blend the cannabis for twelve minutes.
- Wait for 10 minutes so the trichomes can move to the bottom.
- Grab the container with the micron bags and place it under the washer
- Drain the washer into the container. The liquid should have a yellow color.
- After draining, take the bag out of the ice and rinse thoroughly. Put the bag inside the washer and rinse the outer part of the bag vigorously. You can use a garden hose connected to your sink to clean.
- Remove each bag one after the other. Make sure you shake each bag gently before pulling it away from the container.
- The liquids will flow easily from one bag to another via the mesh at the bottom of each bag. After removing the bags, only liquids will be left in the container.
- You’ll see extracted trichomes from the washing stage in the last bag. Rinse the trichomes and scoop with a spoon. Pour the scoops on a tray lined with paper. Repeat this procedure for the remaining bags.
- Once you've collected all the hash, dry-freeze for 24 hours
- After dry-freezing, examine the hash. At this stage, the hash should be easy to break.
Extracting live rosin
- Once the hash is ready, proceed to extract the live rosin.
- Put the hash in a filter bag. Fold your parchment paper and put the bagged hash inside.
- Set the hair straightener or rosin press to 220°F and press the bag to extract the live rosin.
- The live rosin will flow onto the parchment paper.
- Use a scraping tool to scrape your new live rosin into an air-tight jar and dab store.
The secret to producing potent live rosin is using a high-quality bubble hash. A high-quality bubble hash will give you an extract that is fortified with trichome and terpene.
Storing your rosin and live rosin
Store your cannabis extracts in an air-tight jar. Also, it is best to keep rosin for about seven days. This is because rosin can quickly lose its unique flavor. But storing it for short periods will prevent that from occurring. Nonetheless, if you only care about potency, you can preserve your cannabis extract for much longer. It will still feel powerful as the day you made it. That's it! Now you know everything about live rosin versus live resin. You also know how to make live rosin. So make a bunch of tasty rosins, and have fun while at it. After all, making rosin is easy and highly satisfying.
Get Started on Your Cannabis Wellness Journey
Have you started your cannabis wellness journey? Jointly is a new cannabis wellness app that helps you discover purposeful cannabis consumption so you can achieve your wellness goals with cannabis and CBD. On the Jointly app, you can find new cannabis products, rate products based on how well they helped you achieve your goals, and track and optimize 15 factors that can impact your cannabis experience. These 15 factors include your dose, the environment in which you consume cannabis, who you are with when you ingest, how hydrated you are, the quality of your diet, how much sleep you got last night, and more. Download the Jointly app on the App Store or the Google Play Store to get started on your cannabis wellness journey.