In this article, we will describe how to make weed brownies. There’s a good reason why the legendary weed brownie is the most well-known cannabis edible. These classic treats are delicious with or without cannabis.
If you are a chocolate lover, you will love weed brownies. That’s because chocolate compliments the earthy flavor of cannabis. If you want to make weed brownies that don’t taste like cannabis, you will want to read Jointly’s guide to making tasteless edibles with Chef Jeff.
Below we present a quick and easy recipe to help you make weed brownies. While you can use boxed brownie mix in a pinch, the flavor and quality are no match for brownies made from scratch. Also, clean-up is a breeze with this easy-to-make, beginner-friendly recipe.
The simplest and tastiest option for whipping up pot or CBD brownies involves making either cannabis-infused coconut oil or cannabutter first. If you don’t have cannabutter on hand, you will want to check out our article How to Make Weed Butter.
How to use Cannabutter: For best results, make sure the cannabutter is softened at room temperature before using it, or else your batter might clump up when you mix it. However, it’s not a good idea to use melted cannabutter. If you are using cannabis-infused coconut oil instead of cannabutter, it should also be softened at room temperature.
Sugar: You can use a combo of white and brown sugar in this recipe.
Optional toppings: Feel free to add nuts, chocolate chips, caramel, or sea salt before baking. You can also use this basic weed brownie recipe to make space brownies, which are weed brownies with a chocolate chip cookie in the center.
Warning: These delicious brownies may only survive 24 hours in your home. Be prepared and make extra if possible! And keep out of reach of children—but you probably know that already.
Servings: 9 brownies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes.
· 8x8 metal baking pan
· Mixing bowl
· Hand or stand mixer
· Toothpick or thin-bladed knife
· ¾ cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon baking powder
· ½ cup cannabutter (or cannabis-infused coconut oil), softened
· 1 cup white sugar
· ¼ cup brown sugar
· 2 large eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Let’s learn how to make weed brownies.
How to Make Weed Brownies: Step by Step
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8"x8" metal baking pan and put it aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients. To remove any lumps, sift the flour and the cocoa powder. Next, add the salt and baking powder to the dry mixture.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the cannabutter with the white and brown sugar together.
4. Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed cannabutter and sugar mixture. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
5. Add the dry mixture to the wet butter mixture and stir until everything is combined. Stop when just well-mixed. Be careful not to over-stir.
6. Carefully transfer the brownie batter to the greased baking pan. Even out the batter by lightly tapping the pan.
7. Before placing brownies in the oven, add any optional toppings like sea salt or chocolate chips.
8. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on your preferred brownie consistency (fudgy or cake-like).
9. Insert a toothpick or thin-bladed knife into the center of the brownies. When making fudgy-textured brownies, the toothpick/knife does NOT need to come out clean. Making fudgy brownies will leave a residue on the toothpick/knife. What’s most important is that the toothpick doesn't have a wet, batter-like consistency, which indicates that it’s not quite done yet.
10. Although it’s hard, be patient and let the brownies cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares. Pour an ice-cold glass of milk or your favorite milk substitute and enjoy!
For fudgier brownies, decrease the all-purpose flour from ¾ cup to ½ cup.
Serving size: 1 brownie | Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g
Deciding whether to use weed-infused coconut oil or cannabutter depends mostly on preference. Luckily, each one performs nearly the same for this brownie recipe, and each can be used interchangeably in many different cannabis edible recipes.
Your house will smell strongly of cannabis if you decarb your cannabis flower or infuse your oil or butter before making the brownies. However, if you’re using an already prepared fat source, the cannabis smell will be significantly reduced.
Homemade weed brownies typically have a similar use-by date as any other brownie made from scratch. It’s best to consume or freeze within 7 days to prevent molding.
It’s recommended you use a spoon when transferring the flour and cocoa powder from the original container to your measuring cup and then level out with a flat-edged tool (butter knife). This makes for better brownies by helping to prevent packing and an undesirable texture.
Have you started your cannabis wellness journey? Jointly is a new cannabis wellness app that helps you discover purposeful cannabis consumption so you can achieve your wellness goals with cannabis and CBD. On the Jointly app, you can find new cannabis products, rate products based on how well they helped you achieve your goals, and track and optimize 15 factors that can impact your cannabis experience. These 15 factors include your dose, the environment in which you consume cannabis, who you are with when you ingest, how hydrated you are, the quality of your diet, how much sleep you got last night, and more. Download the Jointly app on the App Store or the Google Play Store to get started on your cannabis wellness journey.